The Realm

A Place Where Cheese Is Queen

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, CA

I'm fun.

Monday, September 19, 2005

A Ray of Sunshine

In these dark times post Katrina, we've had a second deluge ... of images and words that outlined the horrors of what those who survived the Gulf region storm and subsequent flood in New Orleans were forced to live through.

Families remain separated, kids are missing, pet owners are searching for lost pets. Hurricane Katrina is still in the headlines, but the story is retreating ... getting lost among other, fresher stories. But for many people, the storm will never be over.

So where is this ray of sunshine I have promised? I'm glad you asked. One extended family from New Orleans has come to the city of Oakland to make a new start. The family consists of 26 people, men and women, as well as kids. For now, they are staying in two apartments borrowed from a generous property owner.

When you lose everything, I imagine its easy to feel overwhelmed. Obviously, people need food, water, and the knowledge that their loved ones are safe.

But you know what? They also need to feel normal. They need to be able to relax. They need to be able to ... hopefully ... smile and laugh.

That's where my beautiful girl Tex comes in. Tex learned about this family through a person at her work. So many people (me included, sadly) think ... well ... I gave money to the Red Cross ... I care! And yes, I DO care, and I know that every single person I know and love does as well.

But Tex is one of those people who is NEVER content to do the expected. When Tex heard that these people had nothing but a roof, she went to work. She found out what they needed, and then went one step further. She got them what they WANTED as well.

So what do people want when they survive a Hurricane? Soap. Razors. Face wash and shampoo. Combs, brushes, make-up, curling irons and hair dryers. Coloring books and crayons. Books. Movies. New clothes. Nice clean socks. New pajamas and slippers. Underpants. A doll. Games. Interview clothes and clothes you can wear to work. Bubble bath. Shoes. Music. All the stuff we take for granted but that makes our everyday lives happy and comfortable.

So Tex gathered up $420 in donations she got from people looking on Craigslist (yay!) for a way to directly benefit victims. She went to Walgreens, and spent the money on all of the above. And now, it is all in the hands of the family.

I love Tex because she doesn't wait for someone to tell her what to do. She just does what needs doing without fretting.

So, now, of course, here's where we come in. Tex and her generous donaters have helped supply this 26 member family with enough stuff to last awhile. But, it won't last forever. And getting back on one's feet doesn't happen overnight.

I know we're all stretched tight right now. I know everyone reading this has already given generously to whichever causes they support with regard to the Hurricane.

But, if you're looking to give more ... from your hand to the hand of someone directly affected ... here's your chance. What this family needs now is gift cards. From your favorite store, be it Target, Walgreen's, Wal-Mart, Old Navy, Macy's, Safeway, Trader Joe's, Border's, ... whatever!

Gift cards allow the recipients to replenish what's needed as it's needed. And they allow them to choose clothes that are to their own tastes and sizes.

If you CAN and want to give to this family ... email me through my profile, and I'll put you in touch with Tex. Or email her directly at tex@globalexchange.org. She'll hook you up ... and give you a receipt as well. Or if you know my number, or hers, just call us!

And, if you're feeling especially inspired ... you can do a little research and find other displaced people that may need a bit of help.

I, of course, am purchasing a gift certificate for use at ROSS!!!

Thanks in advance!

Tomorrow: The countdown is on!!

Until later, Love and kisses, xoxoxoxo

2 Comments:

Blogger terry said...

Tex rocks. And so do you.

Monday, September 19, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey first time caller but have been reading all your blogs for the last hour....um.. yeah!

Tex you rock.. thanks for doing what you can. I would like to send something or contribute but I have no pot to piss in.. well my grass has been cut clear to the topsoil, but once that financial aid check arrives its on the way.

Monday, September 19, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home