The Realm

A Place Where Cheese Is Queen

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Francisco, CA

I'm fun.

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Elusive Slumber

I have apparently pissed this dude off.


“O, Somnus, divine repose of all things!Gentlest of the deities!Peace to the troubled mind, from which you drive the cares of life.Restorer of men's strength when wearied with the toils of day.”

Ovid, Metamorphoses, Book XI (1 A.D.)

Somnus, a-k-a Hypnos, Greek God of sleep, hasn't been kind to me as of late. He has refused to come to me in the afternoons, and arrives at night, grudgingly, long after my clock has clicked past the expected time of our once joyous rendezvous. What have I done? Could it be that I have partaken too heavily of the food of the Gods (tylenol P-M with a Nyquil chaser), thus abusing his favor? Even tempting the lovely Somnus with these methods no longer works. He is on to me and my tricks. DAMMIT!

Or perhaps, as is sometimes the way of deities, I am being tested. My mind churns in his absence, and that may be his goal. Dear Somnus may be asking me to put more thought into my future and more care into the crafting of its path.

So okay. Last night I thought, hey! The SF police department needs hundreds of cops! I could become an officer, with the caveat that I'm put on the horse patrol! I once met a former SF mounted cop who said to me ... when I asked her whether she liked her job ... "well, wouldn't you like to earn double overtime while riding a horse on Ocean Beach at sunset?"

Yes. That would be acceptable. Unfortunately, this officer had to leave the force when a pit bull attacked her horse, which ended up throwing her off his back and leaving her with a crippling injury. So there is that side of it. (the horse was hurt and spooked, but okay.)

Here's another idea. I have come up with a truly original recipe for nutritious, lowfat and DELICIOUS breakfast cookie bar things. My mom knows how to make these equally yummy and good for you savory cookies. Perhaps we could market them and make MILLIONS!! Mom??

But that's the best I can do, and I think I'd be better off if my Somnus would again grace me, as he has so faithfully done all my life. (what can I say? I AM lazy as hell)

Even Dionysus, whom I turned to last night while watching LOST, seems to have forsaken me. His elixir failed to inspire drowsiness as well.

((((((Speaking of. Sawyer. He's not nice and I love that about him.)))))

Maybe they are on vacation? DO minor deities GET holiday time off?

That's not fair. My closest colleague and I aren't allowed to take time off at the same time. Who approved this little jaunt?

Come back, Somnus ... I promise never to again taint our sacred union with false tactics .... (uh, unless I'm trying to avoid the wrath of good Dionysus, a-k-a, a hangover).

I'll let you know tomorrow whether my plea is successful.

love xoxoxoxo kisses

2 Comments:

Blogger terry said...

i will focus my energies today on wishing you a blissfully long night night of sleep, oh goddess of all that is cheesy...

Thursday, February 09, 2006  
Blogger Angela said...

i have one word for you...NAPSTRONG.

Thursday, February 09, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home